In the last year, there have been lots of changes at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World, and there are still more changes coming. One thing I love about Disney parks is that they are always evolving and developing new attractions and shows. It never feels stagnant while still retaining some of things that make it timeless.
I thought I would put together a quick summary of changes for each park, that took place over the last year as well as will occur in the next year.
- California Adventure was given a bit of a “theme” change which included a new front gate and entrance as well as changing names of streets and areas in the park.
- Sunshine Plaza is now Buena Vista Street with the addition of the Carthay Circle Restaurant, as well as the Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Cafe and Clarabelle’s Hand Scooped Ice Cream.
- Starbucks coffee is now served at the Fiddler, Fife & Practical Cafe in California Adventure
- In 2011, the new ride “The Little Mermaid-Ariel’s Underwater Adventure opened
- In June 2012, Cars Land opened with three new attractions and three new dining locations. Attractions include Luigi’s Flying Tires, Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree, and Radiator Springs Racers.
- New dining locations opened along Paradise Pier including Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta, and Paradise Garden Grill, as well as Paradise Pier Ice Cream.
- Hollywood Pictures Backlot became HollywoodLand
- Mullholland Madness became Goofy’s Sky School
- Electronica was replaced by MadTParty in the summer of 2012
- Red Car Trolleys were added to Buena Vista Street
- New ”Glow with the Show“ ears were added to World of Color
- A new character meet & greet for Merida was added to Disneyland
- Princess Faire closes as Disneyland prepares to make use of the Fantasyland theater. A new Princess meet and greet location is being built where the Carnation Plaza Gardens used to be.
- New Jolly Holiday Bakery opens on Main Street while the Carnation Cafe gets renovated and expanded.
- Matterhorn Bobsleds receive new sleds and is renovated. Mountain climbers return to Matterhorn mountain.
- Starting in fall of 2012, ”Glow with the Show“ will be added to Fantasmic.
- Major renovation to the Disneyland Hotel is complete including a new restaurant and new monorail pool slide.
- Pirates League coming to Disneyland starting September 2012
Walt Disney World
©Walt Disney Parks & Resorts Online
In 2010, Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom began a massive renovation that includes:
- Building two Dumbo rides with new wait time technology to eliminate long lines
- Removing ”Snow White’s Scary Adventure“
- New Ariel’s Grotto meet and greet with Ariel and the new attraction ”Under the Sea – Voyage of the Little Mermaid“
- Beauty and the Beast village and castle including Gaston’s tavern, the Beast’s castle and Belle’s cottage.
- New dining restaurant called ”Be Our Guest“ that serves lunch and dinner. Reservations opened on August 20th.
- Seven Dwarf’s Mine Train attraction will open in 2014
- New Storybook Circus meet and greet with Mickey and Friends
- Princess Meet & Greet new area will open in 2013
- Casey’s Jr Soak n’ Splash Station (now open)
- New Fantasyland Train Station
- Goofy the Great’s Barnstormer attraction
- Test Track closes to undergo major renovation and changes
- New Art of Animation resort opens
- At the Grand Floridian, construction has begun on new DVC villas.
- New restaurants open in Epcot World Showcase in Italy (Via Napoli) and Mexico (La Hacienda de San Angel)
- New baby animals born at Animal Kingdom, including an Okapi named Nafuna
Grand Opening for the expansion of Fantasyland in the Magic Kingdom is December 6th of 2012, with some attractions opening in the next two years.
Those are a lot of changes for both parks! The new Cars Land has brought a large number of new visitors to Disneyland, and if your kids are like mine, they love Cars! We are also looking forward to the Magic Kingdom Fantasyland expansion as it will almost double the size of Fantasyland, and it is the first time that Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid have their own area of the park.
If you haven’t been to Disneyland or Disney World in awhile, it may be time to take a visit and see all the new and wonderful changes!